When parents are no longer in a relationship, one parent generally has physical custody of the children. The other parent, called the “non-custodial parent”, can seek visitation with the children. Visitation rights are extremely important to both the non-custodial parent and of course the children.

Often times the custodial parent will try to keep the non-custodial parent from seeing the children for a variety of reasons. The custodial parent should not keep the non-custodial parent from seeing the children simply because the parents are not getting along. The non-custodial parent should not be refused visitation because he or she is behind in child support.  When you are unfairly being denied your visitation rights you should take the matter to court. An attorney familiar with family court can assist you with enforcing your visitation rights.

An attorney can help you do the following:

  • Help you enforce the visitation order you already have from the court so you can see your children.
  • Help you obtain a specific visitation schedule to ensure that you get your children on a fair and consistent basis.
  • Help you establish your paternity when necessary so you can move for visitation rights.
  • Bring contempt actions when your court ordered rights are being willfully denied by the child's other parent.


When You Have Not Seen Your Children For a Long Time

Even if you have not seen your children for a number of years, visitation can often be obtained. This is true even when you have made some bad decisions in your past which have gotten in the way of you seeing your children. If you have not seen your children in a long time, it may be the proper move to try for supervised visitation. Often times when supervised visitation goes well for the children and parent for a period of time, the visitation is expanded and becomes unsupervised. It is never too late to try to be a parent to your child. If you wish to try to obtain visitation after being absent from your child’s life, it could be very helpful to get a lawyer to navigate you through the process.


I Can Help You:

Seeing your children on a regular basis is one of the most important things in a parent’s life. If you are not fortunate enough to have the opportunity to live in the same home as your child, frequent visitation becomes extremely important. Most parents have a lot to offer their children and the child suffers from the loss of that parents love and supportr. When you need help establishing visitation or enforcing a visitation order, consider retaining me to counsel and guide you through the process and to fight for your rights. I know this is a difficult and emotional process for most people and I will work hard to try to get you the time with your child that you both deserve.

—Marc D. Roberts, Esq.